Recruitment and job-related scams are on the rise. In the U.S. alone, the number of reported employment scams increased by 22% in 2022, according to data from the Better Business Bureau.
They’ve become prevalent across the globe, to the point where now, they’re one of the most common online scams, second only to online shopping fraud. How do you avoid falling victim to spot to a recruitment scam, and what should you do if you’re targeted?
Is it a job scam? Red flags to look out for
While recruitment scams are becoming increasingly more sophisticated, there are some tell-tale warning signs that can help you spot a fake job offer from a real one.
Here are some red flags to look out for:
- You recieve a message from a “recruiter” on WhatsApp, Telegram, or via text (any reputable recruiter would not connect with a new candidate in this way)
- The “recruiter” asks you to pay an upfront fee, or provide sensitive information, such as credit card details
- You’re contacted from a free email account, with a generic Gmail or Hotmail instead of a business email address
- The recruiter is vague about the job description, and avoids answering questions about the role directly
- The JD is poorly written with spelling mistakes
- The salary is incredibly high and sounds too good to be true
At Harnham, you will never be asked to pay an initial “consulting” fee, and our recruiters won’t connect with you via WhatsApp or Telegram. Our email formats are firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are contacted by someone who claims to be from Harnham, but their email address is not in this format, please do not respond.
How to Report a Scam
Have you fallen victim to an online fraud or recruitment scam? Contact Action Fraud to report the scam. This helps Action Fraud crack down on the scammers and prevent others from being affected.
• National Crime Agency (NCA)
• National Counter Fraud Authority
• Suspicious Emails Report Service
• National Anti Fraud Network
• Action Fraud (National Reporting Centre for Fraud and Cybercrime)
• Jobs Aware (SAFERJobs)